The IRCCS Ospedale Policlinico San Martino (USMI) of Genova, Italy, is the main city Hospital.
It is a University Hospital and as such it includes clinical and research units tightly connected to the activity of the University of Genova and/or led by University professors. It has been recognized by the Italian Ministry of Health as “Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico” (Scientific Institute for Research, Hospitalisation and Health Care), which is the highest certification in Italy for Institutes involved in Health Research.
It provides better care and prevention of diseases through basic, translational and clinical research.
Fields of research activity include epidemiology, risk factors and primary prevention, cellular, molecular and structural biology, genomics and proteomics, tumour immunology, integrated approaches to cancer therapy.
The Bioinformatics laboratory, part of the Scientific Direction, develops software tools and databases, provides network services and education/training in biocomputing. It is maintaining the Common Access to Biological Resources and Information (CABRI) Network Services, devoted to availability of quality biological resources in Europe.
- Ing. Paolo Romano, Senior Researcher, Bioinformatics Laboratory, Scientific Direction.
He is member of the Scientific Committee, currently serving as its President.
- Dr Barbara Parodi, Cell Bank and Biological Resource Center.
She is member of the General Assembly.
- Dr Alfonso Di Donato, Office for Legal Affairs.
He is member of the General Assembly.
Relevant previous projects
- CABRI (Common Access to Biological Resources and Information, EU project, IV Framework Programme, 1996-1999),
- EBRCN (European Biological Resource Centers Network, EU project, V Framework Programme, 2001-2004),
- BBMRI (Biobanking and Biomolecular Resources Research Infrastructure, EU project, VII Framework Programme, ESFRI Initiative, 2008-2012),
- MIRRI (Microbial Resource Research Infrastructure, EU project, VII Framework Programme, ESFRI Initiative, 2012-2015).
Description of significant infrastructure
The USMI server at http://bioinformatics.hsanmartino.it/ hosts various databases and data analysis tools, which may be relevant to MIRRI, including the CABRI Network Services and IBWS which includes Web Services for making access to CABRI.