The Industrial Yeasts Collection DBVPG of the Department of Agricultural, Food and Environmental Sciences of the University of Perugia is an academic biological resource centre (BRC) specialized in the study and ex-situ conservation of yeasts and yeast-like microorganisms.
The main DBVPG objectives are the acquisition, classification, preservation and distribution of cultures of yeast and yeast-like organisms. All conserved strains have been classified by methods of conventional taxonomy, and the majority of cultures have also been identified by techniques of molecular taxonomy (determination of D1/D2 and ITS1 & ITS2 sequences). The value of the collection is shown not only by the quality of the conserved strains, but equally by the amount and accuracy of the data attached to them.
The DBVPG research programs principally focus on the study of taxonomy, biodiversity and biotechnology of yeasts. Besides, DBVPG is a centre of expertise, advising on yeast problems of scientific or industrial nature. It offers various services including identifications, screening for the production of molecules for technological applications, patent deposits and training courses. Upon request, research projects commissioned by third parties can be carried out on a strictly confidential base.
DBVPG has the WIPO International Depositary Authority (IDA) status. It is member of the European Culture Collections’ Organisation (ECCO) and of the World Federation for Culture Collections (WFCC).
- Prof. Pietro Buzzini
DBVPG Scientific Coordinator, Member of the General Assembly of MIRRI-IT, President of the General Assembly of MIRRI-IT for the 2018-2019 period.
- Prof. Benedetta Turchetti
Curator of the Collection, Member of the Scientific Committee of MIRRI-IT.
Relevant previous projects
- PRIN: Research Projects for significant National interest – Announcement 2015 – granted by Italian Ministry for University and Research. Title: “Response of alpine ecosystems to climatic changes (RESACC)” .
- Italian Program for Antarctic Research (PNRA) – PNRA D.D. 651 del 05/04/2016 (PNRA16_00194 – A1). Title: “Climate change and crust ecosystem in continental Antarctica”.
- Italian Program for Antarctic Research (PNRA) – PNRA D.D. 651 del 05/04/2016 (PNRA16_00006 – A1). Title: “Antarctica: study of the cryptoendolitic microflora diversity in oder to evaluate climate change and life limit”.
- Italian Ministry for University and Research: National Technology Cluster of Green Chemistry – BIT3G: Bioraffineries of III generation Integrated in local areas (2014 -2016)
- MIRRI (Microbial Resource Research Infrastructure, EU project, VII Framework Programme, ESFRI Initiative, 2012-2015).